Well, today, May 1, 2006, is the day. It is the day that a good many people in the United States of America will publicly protest. Some of them are citizens or legal residents, but many of them are here illegally. They have broken our laws to come to our country, and they think they have the right to protest our immigration policies.
May Day has long been a focal point for demonstrations by various socialist, communist, and anarchist groups. One wonders just why illegal aliens or their supporters would choose a day so closely associated with ideologies that are so dramatically at odds with the democratic principles that America was founded on?
The protesters share an opinion: It’s unfair for America to want to control its borders and to restrict people from coming into this country unless they go through the legal process. Some even take the position that we are mistreating illegal aliens by expecting them to follow our immigration laws. However, clear thinking people recognize how patently dumb it is to continue to not control who comes into the U.S. from other countries. Even Mexico, where millions of illegal aliens come from, has a rigorous and strict immigration policy, and affords immigrants who become Mexican citizens far fewer rights than “real” Mexican citizens.
Try to imagine, if you can, just how long a group of Americans in Mexico illegally would last publicly demonstrating against Mexican immigration policy. The entire situation is upside down and absurd to the max.
Here are some of the features of illegal aliens:
- Millions of Mexicans and other foreigners are in the U.S. illegally.
- They work jobs that Americans would take if the pay were not so low, often below the minimum wage.
- They only sometimes pay taxes.
- They frequently send money they make in the U.S. back home.
- They use our schools and health care system.
- They do not learn to speak English. The U.S. instead requires certain accommodations for Hispanic-speaking people.
- They most often do not seek, and do not want, U.S. citizenship.
- They protest publicly against plans/sentiment to enforce immigration laws and enact new immigration measures.
- They arrogantly wave Mexican flags in the faces of American citizens in these protests.
- They now will learn to sing our National Anthem in Spanish.
- They plan to change the words in the Spanish version.
Comments are welcome.